History was created on 6 September 2018, after the Panjab University election results. It is for the first time that a woman president of the Panjab University Campus Students’ Council (PUCSC) is elected.
A member of Left-leaning student body Students For Society (SFS), Kanupriya, 22, will take a lead from now on. Defeating five male candidates of various parties such as Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP), Students Organisation of India (SOI), National Students Union of India (NSUI), Panjab University Students Union (PUSU) and Punjab Students Union (Lalkaar), Kanupriya established the SHE power.
Panjab University Election Results- Know the major highlights
- Over 15,000 students presented the votes to elect the four office-bearers of the Panjab University Campus Students’ Council (PUCSC).
- A total of 21 candidates competed for the posts of president, vice-president, general secretary, and joint secretary.
- With six candidates on the list for the top post, it also included a girl candidate from the Students for Society (SFS).
- Meanwhile, 43,000 students also elected their representatives in the student councils of nine other colleges in the city.
- Vote turnout was similiar to the last year’s elections with 52.2% polling
A look at the new Council:
The new student council- PU Elections:
Kanupriya, 22 from Students for Society turned the history to the left. From the department of Zoology she is the new president who secures 2802 votes.
Daler Singh, 21 from the Geology department represented Students’ Organisation of India alliance party. He secured 3155 votes
From the Students’ Organisation of India alliance, Amarinder Singh, 20 secured 2742 votes. The Department of University Institute of Engineering and Technology gave the new Secretary
Vipul Atray, 19 (National Students’ Union of India) is from the UIET Department. With a total of 2357 votes, we have the new joint secretary.