The tallest statue in the world will now be known by the name of our country. It stands to become the tallest in the world and is one of the prestige projects of our Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The 600-foot tall statue is nearing its completion. The statue celebrates the life of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a national hero known for his role in the country’s long struggle for independence from the British Empire.
Known as the Statue of Unity, the sculpture will officially be inaugurated by Modi on October 31. It will overtake China’s Spring Temple Buddha, which holds the title of tallest statue since 2002.
Highlights about the tallest statue in the world:
- The statue is located around 125 miles southeast of Ahmedabad, the main city in India’s western state of Gujarat.
- The entire project makes to a cost of around $430 million in total, with around 2,500 laborers working on it.
- The statue will stand as a respect to a nationalist hero in India who is remembered as the “Iron Man”
- A view of the construction site of the “Statue of Unity” is seen in Kavadia in the western state of Gujarat, India, on August 25.
- The bronze-covered statue will be twice the height of New York’s Statue of Liberty—the tallest in the U.S.
- The plan of making a viewing gallery near the chest of the statue is also in progress. It will give visitors a view over a nearby lake and surrounding Shoolpaneshwar wildlife sanctuary.
Earlier India’s tallest statue was the Statue of Equality, which stands at 216 feet in the honor of Hindu theologian and philosopher Ramanuja.